Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

When doubts, fears, and worries creep into our hearts...

The past couple of days have been particularly stressful for me. As I allowed my worries to settle in my heart, I found it very difficult to smile, to think positively, and to radiate the light of Christ. I found comfort from Dieter F. Uchtdorf's message "The Hope of God's Light" given in the April General Conference of this year. I especially loved this passage,

There may be some among you who feel darkness encroaching upon you. You may feel burdened by worry, fear, or doubt. To you and to all of us, I repeat a wonderful and certain truth: God's light is real. It is available to all! It gives life to all things. It has the power to soften the sting of the deepest would. It can be a healing balm for the loneliness and sickness of our souls. In the furrows of despair, it can plant the seeds of a brighter hope. It can enlighten the deepest valleys of sorrow. It can illuminate the path before us and lead us through the darkest night into the promise of a new dawn. This is "the Spirit of Jesus Christ," which gives "light to every man that cometh into the world." (D&C 84:45-46)

When we allow our hearts to be penetrated by lightness, darkness cannot exist!
Uchtdorf gives a few steps to opening our eyes to the hope of God's light:

First, start where you are.
We don't have to be perfect now to experience the blessings of our Heavenly Father. "The very moment you begin to seek your Heavenly Father, in that moment, the hope of His light will begin to awaken, enliven, and ennoble your soul."

Second, turn your heart toward the Lord.
"Lift up your soul in prayer and explain to your Heavenly Father what you are feeling. Acknowledge your shortcomings. Pour out your heart and express your gratitude. Let Him know of the trials you are facing. Plead with Him in Christ's name for strength and support. Ask that your ears may be opened, that you may hear His voice. Ask that your eyes may be opened, that you may see His light."

Third, walk in the light.
"Your Heavenly Father knows that you will make mistakes. He knows that you will stumble- perhaps many times. This saddens Him, but He loves you. He does not wish to break your spirit. On the contrary, He desires that you rise up and become the person you were designed to be."

As soon as we allow the light of Christ to enter our hearts, we will be able to reflect that light into the lives of those around us. I am so grateful for the people in my life that radiate this light. On this day, I am especially grateful for my dear friend, Madeline Rose Morris, who shared her light with me for 7 wonderful years.

Madie,
I met you at a difficult time in my life, and right from the start you expressed love and kindness towards me the way that you always have. Throughout the years, you have taught me so much about life and being an example of the believers. You still teach me things every day. I am so grateful for the memories that I have with you and I will cherish them forever. Thank you for being that light in the darkness! I love you and miss you so much!

6 months closer to seeing you again...
Happy Birthday, Madeline Rose Morris! <3

You can find the entire talk here:
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/the-hope-of-gods-light?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment